Five Minutes with... Daniel Kidane
On Friday 14 May, Royal Northern Sinfonia will perform Daniel Kidane’s Towards Resolution in their Spotlight on RNS: Five Composers, Four Seasons concert.
Ahead of the performance we spent five minutes with Daniel asking all the big questions about him, his music, and guilty pleasures – though we don’t really believe anything is a guilty pleasure at Sage Gateshead.
1) Who or what inspires you?
Musically my colleagues who are alive and working now.
2) Where, or what, is perfection?
Being happy and content. Life forever changes, so to be able to adapt and be positive is important for the creative process.
3) What special talent or skill do you wish you possessed?
The ability to fly.
4) What is the most important lesson that life has taught you?
Keep on keeping on.
5) What is your favourite ritual?
I enjoy cooking – I find it relaxing.
6) What did you want to be when you were growing up?
I was torn between becoming an astronaut or a pilot.
7) What is your most guilty pleasure?
KFC chicken wings.
8) What is your favourite word?
Foccinaucinihilipilification… because its so outrageously long-winded
9) What is your favourite smell?
Anything Acqua di parma.
10) What/when was your big breakthrough?
Every new piece is a breakthrough as I learn something new from each creative process.
11) What keeps you awake at night?
I recently acquired a cavapoo puppy dog. She’s been keeping me busy.
12) Which composer or musician is the most underrated in your opinion?
There are too many to name.
Hear Daniel Kidane’s Towards Resolution performed by Royal Northern Sinfonia on Friday 14 May, 7.30pm.