Artists In Residence
We’re delighted to announce that Man Power (Geoff Kirkwood), Me Lost Me (Jayne Dent), Rapasa Otieno and Joe Snape and will join the organisation as Artists in Residence from September 2020.
About our Artists in Residence Programme
A 10 month artist-led programme to develop an ambitious creative project, with a filmed showcase for the project at Sage Gateshead.
We select artists across a range of music genres who are among the most exciting artists in the region. We look for artists at any career stage, but at a ‘pivotal point’ in their career where an ambitious project will open up new possibilities and move their work forward. We are interested in projects which reflect your personal story or the local area (although this is not essential), and in supporting artists to adapt to the current situation by working digitally.
The residency runs from September to June and is self-directed so you decide what you will do with the time and money available in order to create the final performance, with our support.
The package includes:
- £3000 towards your time
- £500 for creative development, e.g. 1 to 1 creative support and tuition, buying music equipment
- Five-day residential retreat to work on your project alone, away from the distractions of everyday life
- Access to the rehearsal spaces at Sage Gateshead
- Concert at Sage or virtual event to showcase the project at the end of the residency
- Video footage of the final project for promotional use
- Access to advice and contacts from our team
- Access to wellbeing support – regular catch-ups and GP clinics especially for performers
- Additional money is available for access costs if needed, see below
As part of the role we will ask you to provide us with some ‘work in progress’ updates for use online (e.g. short videos, a blog post) and we may occasionally ask you to act as an ambassador for Sage Gateshead in media interviews.
We look for artists who are:
- Based primarily in the North East
- Writing your own music in any genre
- A professional musician: regularly working and earning money from your original music, whether performances, commissions or releases
- Have been earning money from performing or writing music for at least 3 years
- Applying as an individual not as a group. Your project can involve other musicians, but they will only be paid a fee for the performance.
- Have some experience of leading your own projects
- Over 18
We recognise that some communities have not been represented in our previous work. We want to make sure this opportunity is available to everyone, no matter what your background or the challenges you have faced.
If you would like to find out more about the programme, please contact Emily Jones [email protected] or on 0191 443 4579.
Sage Gateshead is a PRS Foundation Talent Development Partner in association with Youth Music. Find out more here.