Work starts on the NewcastleGateshead Quays development
Site preparation work on the NewcastleGateshead Quays arena, conference and exhibition centre on the banks of the River Tyne have now commenced. As a result there are some road closures which may affect your journey to Sage Gateshead. View a map of the road closures.
Other areas affected:
- South Shore Road Car Park: This car park will be closed for the duration of the works. Please find a list below of other nearby car parks. Please note, Mill Road Car Park remains closed.
If you are coming to Sage Gateshead, please allow more time for your journey, and consider whether you can use public transport, walk or cycle. And remember, anyone with a ticket for a concert or gig at Sage Gateshead can travel on the Shields Ferry, or from any Metro station to the Gateshead stop, two hours before and after the concert – absolutely free. The Gateshead stop is only a 15 minute walk by foot. Plan your route.
The NewcastleGateshead Quays development, expected to be completed in 2024, will further boost visitors to the riverside and further increase the events and entertainment on offer, with a 12,500-capacity arena, an international conference and exhibition centre, hotels, bars and restaurants. Once complete, it is expected to boost the local economy by £69m annually following over £300m of regeneration investment. We are excited to work with our new colleagues, and supporting the recovery and renaissance of the area and our communities following the Covid-19 pandemic.
Nearby car parks:
- Sage Gateshead car park: 8 Brandling St, Gateshead NE8 2BA
- Church Street car park: Church St, Gateshead NE8 2AT
- Garden Street car park: Quaysgate, Gateshead NE8 3AE
- Gateshead College car park: Quarryfield Rd, Gateshead NE8 3BE
- Gateshead Hawks Lane car park: Hawks Road, Gateshead, NE8 3QX
Further information can be found on YourParkingSpace.co.uk