Work starts on the NewcastleGateshead Quays development
Site preparation work on the NewcastleGateshead Quays arena, conference and exhibition centre on the banks of the River Tyne have now commenced.
This is affecting:
- South Shore Road Car Park: This car park will be closed for the duration of the works. Please find a list below of other nearby car parks. Please note, Mill Road Car Park remains closed.
- Pedestrian access from the riverside to the east side of Sage Gateshead: Pedestrians coming from the Millennium Bridge or Baltic will no longer be able to access Sage Gateshead’s east entrance from the South Shore Road Car Park stairs. Instead, they will need to walk around to Sage Gateshead’s west entrance (St Mary’s Square) on the Tyne Bridge side, via Hillgate and the pedestrianised path along St Mary’s Heritage Centre.
- Car routes in the area: Four-way temporary traffic lights have been installed on Hawks Road, affecting the whole crossroads where Quarryfield Road and Mill Road meet Hawks Road. These works are in addition to two way lights further east along Hawks Road, close to the Encore Ramada hotel, and a northbound one way system in place on Quarryfield Road to the south, past the District Energy Centre.
If you are coming to Sage Gateshead via the above routes, please allow more time for your journey, and consider whether you can use public transport, walk or cycle. And remember, anyone with a ticket for a concert or gig at Sage Gateshead can travel on the Shields Ferry, or from any Metro station to the Gateshead stop, two hours before and after the concert – absolutely free. The Gateshead stop is only a 15 minute walk by foot. Find out more here.
The NewcastleGateshead Quays development, expected to be completed in 2024, will further boost visitors to the riverside and further increase the events and entertainment on offer, with a 12,500-capacity arena, an international conference and exhibition centre, hotels, bars and restaurants. Once complete, it is expected to boost the local economy by £69m annually following over £300m of regeneration investment. We are excited to work with our new colleagues, and supporting the recovery and renaissance of the area and our communities following the Covid-19 pandemic.
Nearby car parks:
- Sage Gateshead car park: 8 Brandling St, Gateshead NE8 2BA
- Church Street car park: Church St, Gateshead NE8 2AT
- Garden Street car park: Quaysgate, Gateshead NE8 3AE
- Gateshead College car park: Quarryfield Rd, Gateshead NE8 3BE
Further information can be found on YourParkingSpace.co.uk