Summer Studios Bursary Information
Residencies are artist led and are intended to provide time, space and resources for artists to build on their creative practice.
We do not pay artist fees for taking part in Summer Studios, but if you are unable to take up the offer of a residency for financial reasons then bursaries are available towards costs such as: meals, childcare, transport, project materials for the residency, the cost of a support worker and replacing income which may be lost due to spending time on the residency.
Please use the guidelines below to make a self-assessment. We work on the basis of trust, and won’t ask for proof. We only ask for your honesty and hope this will allow extra support to go where it is really needed.
When completing the form, you will be asked to rate how well each of these describes your circumstances:
- I often worry about affording basic needs and don’t always meet them (see Note 1 below)
- I have debt and it sometimes stops me from meeting my basic needs.
- I cannot work as much as I want to, for any reason.
- I qualify for government and/or voluntary help including foodbanks and benefits.
- I rent low quality housing, I may be forced to move from my current housing or I have no permanent accommodation (see Note 3 below)
- I sometimes can’t afford public or private transport. If I own a car/have access to a car, I am not always able to afford petrol.
- I have no access to savings.
- I have no access to financial help from a parent or family member.
- I have no or very limited expendable income (see Note 2 below).
- I rarely buy new items because I am unable to afford them.
- I cannot afford a holiday or to take time off without financial worries or difficulty.
There will be space to tell us about any other challenging circumstances you are experiencing.
We hope to be able to offer bursaries to up to 50% of artists. There is a limited amount of money available for bursaries so if there is high demand then the amount offered may vary each year.
Unfortunately we cannot offer individual bursaries for other members of a group, the bursary is for an individual/lead artist or may be shared between a group if you choose to.
- BASIC NEEDS include food, housing, clothing and transportation.
- EXPENDABLE INCOME might mean you are able to buy coffee or tea at a shop, go to the cinema or a concert, buy new clothes, books and similar items each month, etc.
- LOW QUALITY HOUSING might mean you live in an area where you feel unsafe, or live in a shared house with more than 2 other adults, in a house which is overcrowded, or poorly maintained with persistent damp, leaks, other structural problems, or inadequate heating.