Job Vacancy: Arts Administrator Apprentice
Job Title: Arts Administrator Apprentice
Department & Team: Business Support
Location: Sage Gateshead
Working Hours: 36 hours per week
Salary: £17,109 per annum pro rata (SCP 14)
Duration of post: Fixed term for 18 months
Position in Organisation
Reports to: Head of Business Support
Responsible for: N/A
Works in conjunction with: Strategic Funding Manager, Business Support Manager
About the role
This is a new role that sits within the Business Support team. It supports the Strategic Funding Manager, the Head of Business Support, and the Business Support team as a whole.
This is a Creative Apprenticeship post. It is a full-time post of 36 hours per week. A minimum of 20% of those hours will be spent off-the-job training and a Creative Apprenticeship framework will be achieved. This reinforces practical, work based learning with technical and theoretical learning. There will be an opportunity to study for a Gold Arts Award and we will be touring other cultural venues in the North East so that you have a wider appreciation of the industry.
Overall purpose of the job
- To provide administrative support to the Business Support team
- To receive and respond to enquiries
- To support funding and reporting activity, including proofreading and data entry
- To support the company reporting systems and process
- To support the Event and Box Office setup processes
Introduction to Sage Gateshead
Founded in 2004, Sage Gateshead has an international reputation as a new centre for music combining performance, education and participation working across a wide range of musical genres and reaching a broad audience. Founded with a mixed business model, the charity’s turnover of £15million combines, box office, commercial, fundraised income with public subsidy.
Sage Gateshead runs:
- Royal Northern Sinfonia, the UK’s only full-time contract chamber orchestra
- One of the largest creative learning programmes in the UK
- A Performance Programme of events and festivals across musical genres (folk, classical, rock, indie, jazz, electronic) for 360 days of the year
- One of the biggest conference and events businesses in the region
- A folk development agency, Folkworks
- An iconic visitor attraction, designed by Foster + Partners on the banks of the Tyne with a large public space, three auditoriums and 25 learning spaces.
- A series of railway arch spaces
In 2014 Sage Gateshead completed its first decade. During this period the charity had:
- 6 million visitors
- 1.5 million participants
- 1000 conferences
- 4000 concerts
- £283 million of economic benefit to the region
In 2017/18 Sage Gateshead delivered:
- 446 performance events
- 11,081 Courses, Classes and Workshops
- 101 conferences and events
Sage Gateshead is a unique place in the UK to study music. We have world class concert halls and learning facilities under one roof, we are home to the UK’s leading chamber orchestra, Royal Northern Sinfonia, a hub for folk music and have a worldwide reputation for our Creative Learning programme. We are not simply an education organisation, we are a place where artists come to perform, develop work, teach, where audiences from a wide range of backgrounds come to hear, make and participate in all genres of music and we are an active participant in communities in the North.
A place where we can ALL be ourselves #EqualityatSageGateshead
Responsibilities and Duties
- Coordinate and minute meetings
- Prepare presentations for all levels of the business
- Attend and contribute to staff meetings
- Support the Business Support Manager and Analysts in compiling and collating data for company reporting when required
- Provide support with documenting procedures and processes
- Proofreading reports and external documents
- Support the Strategic Funding Manager and Head of Business Support in coordinating and delivering strategic reporting
- Diary management and deadline enforcement
- Provide support with the set-up of events in both the Events and Box Office systems
- Represent the organisation at external meetings and public events when required
- Provide support with the maintenance of audience and performance data in the Event and Box Office systems
- Maintain a firm understanding of the changing objectives and operating environments of all departments and teams in order to fully support the balance of activity required to achieve their objectives
- To accept appropriate individual responsibility for the observance, promotion and implementation of the North Music Trust’s policies on Equal opportunities, Health and Safety and Customer Care
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the responsibilities of the role as required
Knowledge, experience and skills required to do the job
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or above including English and maths, or equivalent
- Enthusiasm for the arts
- Adaptability, confident in working both independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrably strong attention to detail and accuracy, particularly in proofreading
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Motivated by active learning
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Good organisation and time management skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects, prioritising workloads
- Ability to proactively solve problems
- High IT literacy and competence, including demonstrable knowledge of Office 365
- Qualifications in Business or IT
- Experience of working in an arts organisation
- Experience of working as an administrator
- Proofreading qualification
- An ability to write creatively and have experience of content production
- Ability to manage discrete mini-projects
- Exceptional Excel and PowerPoint skills
Terms and Conditions
We believe Sage Gateshead is a great place to work – an innovative and friendly environment, where no two days are ever the same.
The holiday entitlement for this post is 33 days pa pro rata (including statutory holidays).
The salary for this post is £17,109 per annum pro rata (SCP 14).
We also offer subsidised parking for staff members, as well as a discount in our café and access to a voluntary health cash plan, bike to work scheme and travel ticket scheme.
How to Apply
We will be holding an Open Event at 5pm on Tuesday 21st May 2019. This event will include a tour of Sage Gateshead, more detailed information on the role, a chance to meet the team and an opportunity to ask any questions. Please let us know if you are attending this event at [email protected]
Applications must be made on a North Music Trust online application form.
We regret that CV’s cannot be accepted. If you have any queries about your application, please contact 0191 443 4624
Completed applications should be returned no later than 9am on Friday 31st May 2019.