- Age 13-19
- Annual Fee: from £500 to £850 depending on activity
- Bursaries are available
- Recommended for intermediate to advanced players
- Audition required
Young Sinfonia is a high quality youth orchestra with strong links to Royal Northern Sinfonia (RNS). They have worked with many exciting conductors in the past few years, most recently being directed by Karin Hendrickson, the former Assistant Conductor of RNS. Young Sinfonia play a broad range of music, including works by young composers, performing in Sage One and across the region. They have engaged young audiences and communities, through RNS’ Classics4Kids concerts (providing instrument demonstrations and interacting with young audiences), creating their own OrKIDStra event, and performing at Age UK Gateshead.
Young Sinfonia currently meet on a project basis beginning with a full weekend of playing at the beginning of the year, and a residential in either October or February half term which helps to bond the group musically and socially.
Application and Audition
Due to the necessary closure of Sage Gateshead in March 2020, our audition process was managed remotely and auditions were digital.
The audition process for 21/22 isn’t yet confirmed but is likely to include video submissions. You can see a video on our standard audition process by visiting our Ask Us Anything page.
Candidates will be asked to:
- prepare two contrasting pieces to perform
- perform exercises to test sight reading ability. One of these will be a prepared sight reading and the links to the music are at the bottom of this page listed by instrument.
Young Sinfonia is a chamber orchestra and doesn’t usually require trombones, tubas, harps or other traditional symphonic instruments. However we may occasionally perform repertoire that does require them. If you would like to be considered on these occasions and for any other information about the programme please email [email protected]
Prepared sight reading:
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Bassoon
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Cello & Bass
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Clarinet
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Flute
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – French Horn
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Oboe
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Trumpet
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Viola
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Violin
Our Young Musicians Programme is open to all children and young people, whatever their circumstances. We are keen to encourage applicants from the widest possible range of backgrounds and access a bursary where needed.
If you’d like to speak to someone, please email us at [email protected]