- Age 13-19
- Annual Fee: £850
- Bursaries are available
- Recommended for intermediate to advanced players
- Audition required
Young Sinfonia is a high quality youth orchestra with strong links to Royal Northern Sinfonia (RNS). They have worked with many exciting conductors in the past few years, most recently being directed by Karin Hendrickson, the Assistant Conductor of RNS. Karin has a vast experience conducting professional and youth ensembles, and also opera. Young Sinfonia play a broad range of music, including works by young composers, performing in Sage One and across the region. They have engaged young audiences and communities, through RNS’ Classics4Kids concerts (providing instrument demonstrations and interacting with young audiences), creating their own OrKIDStra event, and performing at Age UK Gateshead.
Young Sinfonia currently meet on a project basis beginning with a residential weekend in September. There is usually a residential in February and performances throughout the spring and summer terms.
Application and Audition
This year, due to the necessary closure of Sage Gateshead, our audition process will be managed remotely and auditions will be digital. If you have applied to a programme that requires an audition you will receive information and guidance from the YMP team by the end of April.
Candidates will be asked to:
- prepare two contrasting pieces to perform
- perform exercises to test sight reading ability. One of these will be a prepared sight reading and the links to the music are at the bottom of this page listed by instrument.
Young Sinfonia is a chamber orchestra and doesn’t usually require trombones, tubas, harps or other traditional symphonic instruments. However we may occasionally perform repertoire that does require them. If you would like to be considered on these occasions and for any other information about the programme please email [email protected] or call 0191 443 5252.
Prepared sight reading:
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Bassoon
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Cello & Bass
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Clarinet
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Flute
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – French Horn
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Oboe
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Trumpet
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Viola
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Violin
You can see a video on our standard audition process on our Ask Us Anything page.
Autumn, Spring & Summer 19/20 schedule
Our schedules for 20/21 will appear online during April.
Our Young Musicians Programme is open to all children and young people, whatever their circumstances. We are keen to encourage applicants from the widest possible range of backgrounds and access a bursary where needed.