- Age 13-19
- Annual Fee: £850
- Bursaries are available
- Recommended for intermediate to advanced players
- Audition required
Young Sinfonia is a high quality youth orchestra with strong links to Royal Northern Sinfonia (RNS). Young Sinfonia is conducted by Karin Hendrickson, the Assistant Conductor of RNS. Karin has a vast experience conducting professional and youth ensembles, and also opera. Young Sinfonia play a broad range of music, including premiering works by young composers, and regularly perform on Sage Gateshead’s main stage and across the region. They are also involved in supporting the Classics4Kids concerts, providing instrument demonstrations and interacting with young audiences.
Young Sinfonia currently meet on a project basis beginning with a residential weekend in September. There is usually a residential in February and performances throughout the spring and summer terms.
Application and Audition
Application for Young Sinfonia takes place between February and April each year, with auditions on Saturday 1 June.
Candidates will be asked to:
- prepare two contrasting pieces to perform
- perform exercises to test sight reading ability. One of these will be a prepared sight reading and the links to the music are at the bottom of this page listed by instrument.
The audition will last no more than 15 minutes.
Please note that we are not able to provide an accompanist for your audition. We are happy for you to perform unaccompanied or you can bring your own accompanist.
Young Sinfonia is a chamber orchestra and doesn’t usually require trombones, tubas, harps or other traditional symphonic instruments. However we may occasionally perform repertoire that does require them. If you would like to be considered on these occasions and for any other information about the programme please email [email protected] or call 0191 443 5252.
Prepared sight reading:
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Bassoon
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Cello & Bass
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Clarinet
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Flute
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – French Horn
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Oboe
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Trumpet
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Viola
- Young Sinfonia Excerpts – Violin
Autumn, Spring & Summer 19/20 schedule
Our Young Musicians Programme is open to all children and young people, whatever their circumstances. We are keen to encourage applicants from the widest possible range of backgrounds and access a bursary where needed.