- Age 5-8
- Saturday 9am – 1.15pm
- Termly Fee: £240-340
- Bursaries Available
Foundation Strings is an instrumental string programme which integrates movement, singing, and instrumental learning.
Aims of Foundation Strings:
- To tap into children’s innate creativity and imagination through music
- To help children to develop important musical skills (pulse, rhythm, pitch, inner-hearing) using carefully chosen songs, games and activities
- To develop children’s ability to read, write and compose using musical notation
- To equip children with a firm technical grounding on their chosen instrument (violin, viola, cello, mini bass)
- To help children develop confidence and social skills by playing in an ensemble and performing regularly in front of others
Foundation Strings is designed for children aged 5 – 8 (School Years 1 – 3; reception class aged children should register for Musical Foundations). Beginners aged 6 or 7 can sometimes be accommodated in the programme. Children aged 8 and over should apply for Step Up Strings. When Foundation Strings is oversubscribed priority is given to those completing Musical Foundations.
Years One and Two
- 30 minute small group instrumental lesson (2 or 3 students per group)
- One hour musicianship and ensemble session
- 30 minute individual instrumental lesson
- 45 minute musicianship session
- 45 minute ensemble session
Individual student timetables vary depending on the time allocated for the instrumental lesson. There are 30 teaching weeks and two performance days scheduled over the academic year.
Violin, viola, cello and mini bass tuition are all now available from Year 1. We have a small stock of instruments available for hire each year, however most students own their own instrument. We can advise on instrument purchase and help to buy schemes.
Fees and Bursaries
Our Young Musicians Programme is open to all children and young people, whatever their circumstances. We are keen to encourage applicants from the widest possible range of backgrounds and access a bursary where needed.