Music Spark is a programme of training and work experience for young people and adults aged 15-25 years old with additional needs to help them become musicians.
Music Spark Volunteers, who have previously completed their own traineeship, deliver this training in collaboration with experienced Music Leaders. Previous graduates of the training have remained active as Music Leaders with some going into employment including as Support Musicians at Sage Gateshead. Trainees have been signposted from MENCAP National College Dilston, Northern Counties College and Dryden School.
The training programme has two main elements; the Music Spark Traineeship and the Music Spark POD (Progression Opportunity Development).
Music Spark Traineeship
30 days over one full academic year, September to July, £1,000 per trainee.
Fridays 10am – 3pm in the Music Education Centre at Sage Gateshead (term time only). Starting in September 2019.
Trainees are supported to:
- Lead, devise and evaluate music activities primarily for children, young people and adults with learning disabilities
- Explore musical development
- Develop music leadership skills
- Develop confidence, self-belief and independence through training that includes making choices
- Achieve Arts Award accreditation and NCFE Level 1 Award in Personal and Social Development.
Music Spark POD (Progression Opportunity Development)
30 sessions over 1 full academic year, September to July, £450 per year per graduate
The POD is for graduates of the Music Spark traineeship and offers progression and continued support.
POD members are supported to:
- Access work placements
- Achieve Arts Award Accreditation
- Helo to deliver the Music Spark Traineeship
- Participate in Sage Gateshead’s Youth Forum to advocate SEND youth voice across the organisation
- Gain access to training and work experience opportunities
- Gain access to national SEND initiatives
- Participate in Music Spark Show performance
For more information please contact [email protected] or call 0191 443 5249.