Appy to perform at Sage Sessions
About Sage Sessions
Sage Sessions are a new cross-genre series of intimate gigs.
We want to hear from you if you identify as being from a working class background* or have experienced challenging circumstances on your musical journey.
Sage Sessions is due to take place on stage in our largest venue, Sage One, but some of the events may take place online instead. If you apply you will also be added to our list of local artists for opportunities such as support slots, live streaming etc.
We recognise that some communities have not been represented in our previous work. We want to make sure this opportunity is available to everyone, no matter what your background or the challenges you have faced.
For example we would love to hear from you if you:
- Consider yourself to be from a working class community*
- Received free school meals in secondary school
- Grew up in a family receiving Universal Credit or state benefits
- Have ever lived in council or social housing, been on the housing register
- Have ever lived in sheltered accommodation or experienced homelessness
- Attended a state-run school and were the first generation in your family to attend university
- Experienced being in care at any point
- Were a young parent or young carer
- Have been a refugee or asylum seeker
These are some common examples of challenging circumstances but there may be others.
What we’re looking for:
- pop, indie, alternative, folk, country, Americana, jazz/blues, soul/funk, classical, electronic, hip hop, ambient, sound art, experimental
- original music or creative interpretations of existing music
- artists at any stage of their career who have been paid to perform in the last 2 years
- minimum set length of 20 minutes
- finished pieces or work-in-progress which is ready for an audience
- a stripped back performance: lightly amplified or totally acoustic, suitable for a seated audience, solo artists can perform with backing track if preferred, maximum group size of 6
- promotional photos of you as an artist
- you must be over 18
- you must be based in the North East
- if you have previously performed at Sage Gateshead, please still apply!
How to apply:
* ‘Working class’ can mean different things to different people and we know that some people feel uncomfortable with the term. We are including it for those people who do self-identify as working class.