Head of Sales
Application closing date 9am on Friday 19th October 2018
Introduction to Sage Gateshead
Founded in 2004, Sage Gateshead has an international reputation as a new centre for music combining performance, education and participation working across a wide range of musical genres and reaching a broad audience. Founded with a mixed business model, the charity’s turnover of £15million combines, box office, commercial, fundraised income with public subsidy.
Sage Gateshead runs:
- Royal Northern Sinfonia, the UK’s only full-time contract chamber orchestra
- One of the largest creative learning programmes in the UK
- A Performance Programme of events and festivals across musical genres (folk, classical, rock, indie, jazz, electronic) for 360 days of the year
- One of the biggest conference and events businesses in the region
- A folk development agency, Folkworks
- An iconic visitor attraction, designed by Foster + Partners on the banks of the Tyne with a large public space, three auditoriums and 25 learning spaces.
- A series of railway arch spaces
In 2014 Sage Gateshead completed its first decade. During this period the charity had:
- 6 million visitors
- 1.5 million participants
- 1000 conferences
- 4000 concerts
- £283 million of economic benefit to the region
In 2016/17 Sage Gateshead delivered:
- 451 Concerts
- 10,609 Workshops
- 112 Conferences & Events
Overall purpose of the job
Managing and developing a highly sales focussed team, whilst working with colleagues from across the organisation to develop opportunities for revenue growth and system development. Ensuring a quality service to audience, other customers and partners, whilst contributing to Sage Gateshead’s ongoing success. Working to and hitting sales targets.
Job Title: Head of Sales
Department & Team: Marketing and Communications
Location: Sage Gateshead
Working Hours: 37.5 hrs per week
Salary: £25k basic with OTE in the region of £35-37k.
Position in Organisation
Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communications
Responsible for: Box office team
Works in conjunction with: Business Support Team, Marketing and Communications, ICT, Programme Teams
Responsibilities and Duties
- Supervision and development of all staff relating to box office sales including Box Office FOH & BOH.
- Motivation of a highly skilled, customer and sales focussed Box Office team.
- Establishing and maintaining a comprehensive sales targets system and sales focussed culture that includes the preparation of effective sales reports and management information on a regular basis.
- Effective supervision of Tessitura as used within the Box Office environment, including show set-ups, creating new facility layers, new price types and management of all agency sales.
- Developing and maintaining a regular programme of systems, policy/compliance and customer service training.
- Responsible for developing and growing the organisation’s group sales function supporting the development of productive relationships with schools, community groups, corporates, tour operators etc
- Responsible for developing and growing the organisation’s membership function to ensure that schemes are fit for purpose, meet established targets and are administered effectively to the expectations of customers.
- Promoting Box Office services and identifying opportunities to act as a ticket agent for external partners.
- Working in conjunction with Marketing colleagues to manage a quality classical subscription offer
- Working in conjunction with Marketing colleagues to manage and develop the growth of online sales.
- Working with Business Support colleagues to develop and maximise Tessitura’s application within the organisation in order to maximise sales and related revenue streams, customer service, and business efficiency.
- Working closely with colleagues in programming and marketing teams to contribute to pricing strategy and the development of new initiatives that drive sales.
- Working with Box Office colleagues to ensure service to clients (e.g. promoters and non-commercial hirers) is delivered to a high level, including the provision of relevant sales information and reports as required.
- Working with Box Office colleagues to ensure that agency sales are dealt with in the best manner possible to the benefit of the organisation.
- Working with Box Office colleagues to ensure that customers receive great levels of service, whilst sales tactics are delivered to maximise ticket and trading sales in line with targets.
- Developing systems for the collection and maintenance of high-quality customer data, ensuring compliance with General Data Protection Regulations.
- More broadly, ensuring policies and procedures are in place and compliance is maintained.
- Overall budget responsibility for the Box Office function.
- Undertaking any other relevant duties as may be requested by the Director of Marketing and Communications.
Knowledge, experience and skills required to do the job
- Management training
- Sales training
- Evidence of continual professional development.
- Demonstrable track record of achieving sales and hitting target.
- Demonstrable track record of developing and leading a sales focused team and quality systems that facilitate sales growth.
- Demonstrable track record of developing a customer focused team which offers excellent levels of service to internal and external clients.
- Demonstrable track record of developing and delivering training plans to support the ongoing success of the Box Office function.
- A proven track record in delivering exceptional customer service
- Practical experience and understanding of management procedures and HR practices
- Experience of managing Tessitura (or similar CRM)
- Experience of working in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of CRM/Box Office systems such as Tessitura and Artifax (or similar)
- An understanding of how dynamic pricing is set up and used within Tessitura (or similar CRM systems)
- Exceptional organisation skills and ability to multitask many complex projects to deadline
- Knowledge General Data Protection Regulations May 2018 and Payment Card Industry standards.
- Awareness of revenue management and some knowledge of budgeting
- Highly motivated and target driven, with a positive attitude to lead others
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Marketing training
- Practical strategic pricing experience
- Ability to maximise Tessitura’s full potential
- Awareness of concert hall/ music venue environment and associated rends.
- A passion for live music.
Terms and Conditions
We believe Sage Gateshead is a great place to work – an innovative and friendly environment, where no two days are ever the same.
The holiday entitlement for this post is 33 days pa pro rata (including statutory holidays).
The salary for this post is £25k basic with OTE in the region of £35-37k.
We also offer subsidised parking for staff members, as well as a discount in our café, and access to a voluntary health cash plan, bike to work scheme, travel ticket scheme and auto-enrol pension.
How to Apply
Applications must be made on a North Music Trust online application form.
We regret that CV’s cannot be accepted. If you have any queries about your application please contact 0191 443 4624
Completed applications should be returned no later than 9am on Friday 19th October 2018.