Event Manager (Conference and Events)
Application closing date 10.00am on Monday 23rd April 2018
Introduction to Sage Gateshead
Founded in 2004, Sage Gateshead has an international reputation as a new centre for music combining performance, education and participation working across a wide range of musical genres and reaching a broad audience. It is also one of the region’s leading conference centres. Founded with a mixed business model, the charity’s turnover of £15million combines, box office, commercial, fundraised income with public subsidy.
Sage Gateshead runs:
- A Performance Programme of events and festivals across musical genres (folk, classical, rock, indie, jazz, electronic) for 360 days of the year (1700 seater and 600 seater venues)
- Royal Northern Sinfonia, the UK’s only full time contract chamber orchestra
- One of the largest Learning and Participation Programmes in the UK
- One of the biggest conference and events businesses in the north
- A folk development agency, Folkworks
- An iconic visitor attraction, designed by Foster + Partners on the banks of the Tyne with a large public space, three auditoriums and 25 learning spaces.
In 2014 Sage Gateshead completed its first decade. During this period the charity had:
- 6 million visitors
- 1.5 million participants
- 1000 conferences
- 4000 concerts
- £283 million of economic benefit to the region.
In 2016/17 Sage Gateshead delivered:
- 451 performance events
- 10,609 classes and workshops
- 112 conferences and events
- 39 premieres and commissions
- 11 broadcasts.
Job Title: Event Manager (Conference and Events)
Department & Team: Music North Limited – Conference and Events (C&E)
Location: Sage Gateshead
Working Hours: 36 Hours per Week
Salary: SCP 17-21 (£17,593-£19,995)
Duration of the role: Permanent
Position in Organisation
Reports to: Conference and Events Operations Manager
Responsible for: N/A
Works in conjunction with: All internal departments, agencies and other external partners and stakeholders
Budget responsibility: Expected to contribute to the annual departmental target.
Overall purpose of the job
To plan and deliver a varied programme of conferences and events to a standard of excellence, building client relationships to maximise income, contributing to the annual Conference and Events target.
Main Duties and responsibilities
1) Plan and deliver a varied programme of conferences and events including but not exclusively, association conferences, exhibitions, corporate conferences and events, wedding, private celebrations, broadcast events and C&E self programmed events
2) Manage the event planning cycle from event confirmation through to debrief, ensuring all activity is delivered in line with:
a. Company Health and Safety standards, creating where necessary risk assessments
b. Company planning frameworks, attending company-wide planning meetings
c. Company software including Act, Artifax and Tessitura
3) Contribute to the success of the C&E programme, ensuring events are delivered with the highest possible standards of client service at all times
4) Communicate with all internal departments, attend planning meetings and ensure that accurate and timely event led information is disseminated throughout the organisation
5) Contribute to the annual C&E contribution target, ensuring secondary spend is fully maximised
6) Create and maintain event budgets, ensuring the accurate recording and reporting of all financial information
7) Identify potential business opportunities for the Conference & Events team, as well as other departments within Sage Gateshead
8) To assist and deputise for the Conference and Events Operations Manager
9) To research and build relationships with third party suppliers, to enhance the Conference & Events department offering
10) To attend relevant external exhibitions and networking events as required
11) To maximise development and training opportunities provided
Knowledge, experience and skills required
1) Relevant experience
2) Highly effective administrative and organisation skills
3) Effective, articulate written and oral communication skills
4) Demonstrable skill and ability in time-planning and prioritisation and the ability to work both on your own initiative and as part of a team
5) High level of IT skills – including Microsoft – Outlook, Word, Excel and Access
6) Exemplary attention to detail
7) Flexibility in working style
8) Personable approach in the workplace
Terms and Conditions
We believe Sage Gateshead is a great place to work – an innovative and friendly environment, where no two days are ever the same.
The holiday entitlement for this post is 33 days pa pro rata (including statutory holidays).
The salary for this post is in the range from £17,593 to £19,995
We also offer subsidised parking for staff members, as well as a discount in our café, and access to a voluntary health cash plan, bike to work scheme, childcare vouchers, travel ticket scheme and auto-enrol pension.
How to Apply
Applications must be made on a North Music Trust online application form.
We regret that CV’s cannot be accepted. If you have any queries about your application please contact 0191 443 4624 or 0191 443 4621.
Completed applications should be returned no later than 10am on Monday 23rd April 2018.