GREAT EXHIBITION OF THE NORTH OPENING EVENT, FRIDAY 22 JUNE 2018
On Friday 22 June, the opening event for the Great Exhibition of the North takes place on Newcastle and Gateshead Quayside, the bridges and on the River Tyne. The event is organised by NewcastleGateshead initiative.
This will be a free ticketed event with majority of the public audience viewing area, on the Newcastle Quayside from the Tyne ridge along to St Anne’s Quay, Newcastle and an additional viewing area in Baltic Square, Gateshead. Please be aware that all tickets for the event have now been allocated. The event will feature the opening of both Gateshead Millennium Bridge and Newcastle Swing Bridge.
The staging of the event and the weekend activities will necessitate road closures in Newcastle and Gateshead.
Newcastle Road Closures
The Newcastle closures will cover:
1. Quayside Walkway – between Swing Bridge and Mariners Wharf;
2. Watergate – between its junctions with Sandhill and Quayside;
3. Quayside – between its junctions with Sandhill and B1600;
4. Side – between its junctions with Dean Street and Quayside;
5. Sandhill – between its junctions with close and Quayside;
6. B1600 – between its junctions with City Road and Quayside;
7. Swing bridge – for its entire length.
In addition to the closures the following restrictions will need to be suspended:
8. No Right Turn restriction from B1600 into Milk Market;
9. No Left Turn restriction from Milk Market into BL600;
10. No Entry (Except Buses) restriction from Dean Street into Side;
11. No Entry restriction from Side into Queen Street;
12. No Motor Vehicles (except for access and permit holders) restriction from Queen Street into Side
Access to Akenside, Queen Street, King Street and Lombard Street will be available via Dean Street and Side. Access to and from The Close will be via Forth Banks.
The closures will be enforced between approximately 6am on Friday 22 June to 11pm on Saturday 23 June 2018. These times are to allow the event infrastructure to be installed and removed safely. The closures are extended to Saturday to allow families to enjoy the weekend Quayside activities without concerns about traffic.
In addition to the above, the Quayside Link Bus route will be suspended from 10am to approximately 11.59pm on Friday 22 June.
The weekly Sunday Quayside Market road closure will be in place as usual.
On East Quayside full pedestrian and vehicle access will be possible except for those west of the Swirle where pedestrian access will be maintained but vehicle access will not be possible between 7pm and midnight on Friday 22 June.
Gateshead Road Closures
The closures will be enforced from 6pm to 11.59pm on Friday 22 June, except for closure 2 on South Shore Road which will be from 10am on Friday 22 June to 1.59pm on Saturday 23 June.
1. Bridge Street – from Bottle Bank to Newcastle Swing Bridge
2. Swing Bridge, Hillgate and South Shore Road up to Baltic Quays apartments. Access to the Hilton Newcastle Gateshead and Curzon place will be signposted via Oakwellgate, Cannon Street and Church Street
3. St Mary’s Square
For the finale pyrotechnic display (10.50pm Friday), subject to weather conditions, there may be a need to close Hawks Road from Oakwellgate to Mill Road for a short period.
All the above roads will be marshalled and stewarded to alleviate inconvenience and minimise disruption whatever possible and to avoid endangering those people viewing the event.
The Swing Bridge, whilst closed to vehicular traffic will remain open to pedestrians prior to and after the opening event programme as ended. The Gateshead Millennium Bridge will be closed to pedestrians and cyclists between 7pm and 11pm on Friday 22 June. However, users of the bridge should note the access restrictions to the Quayside Walk.
It is inevitable that some disruption may be caused when staging such prestigious events as The Great Exhibition of the North, however, we think it’s worth it to showcase and promote the amazing redevelopment of the Quaysides. Access for Emergency vehicles to all areas will be maintained at all ties.
We do hope that the event does not cause you too much inconvenience and thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
Should you require further information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.getnorth2018.com